Re: Orgueil:Is it really from Mars?

I would like to address some of the statements and observations Frank
made about Orgueil and sedimentary rocks.  First of all, sedimentary
rocks DO NOT have to be deposited via precipitaion from water. There are
large deposits of loess (wind blown dust) and thick sand dune sediments
and all over the world.  Obvously the primary force for these sediments
is wind.  Volcaninc fields are huge sedimentary deposits, i.e., lava
flows, ash falls and the like.  The Mars-Orgueil (all CI's) connection
is an intriguing one.  Orgueil, does not necessarily have to come from a
lake bed, just because it contains water.  Many clays and volcanic
deposits contain a high percentage of water and hydrous mineral phases.
I have not yet seen the chemical analysis of Orgueil, but it resembles
(in appearance) weathered basalts found here on earth.  Also, who is to
say it is not an ancient earth or moon rock??
Regards,
--
Matt Morgan
Colorado Geological Survey