Re: Micrometeorites

At 12:44 AM 3/06/97 -0400, you wrote:
>I recently came across an interesting artical regarding micrometeorites. I
>posted a question that was not answered ( to my surprise) regarding
>micrometeorites, I was wondering if anyone has ever done the experiment
>posted by (Ninninger in "Find A Falling Star" ???  regarding collection of
>micrometeorites from rain water and snow via collection from roof gutters. I
>would greatly appreciate anyones input on this experiment. Thanks All!!
>
>Glenn

Walter Zeitschel in the Feb. '96 issue of METEORITE! wrote about doing this
very thing. One of his (spherical) specimens is depicted on the cover and
two others are also shown with his article. He removed gunk from a drain
spout and used a magnet to separate out the iron material. I have also tried
the same thing recently just scooping out the gunk from a gutter on the
house and used a magnet to sift the dried material. Then I looked under a
microscope at low power for things that looked micrometeoritic. You really
can't be certain however unless you have some of the material analyzed like
Walter did (at the University of Freiburg). But chances are that some of the
spherical and ellipsoidal magnet particles are micrometeorites.

Joel Schiff