Re: Nuveo Mercurio B??

Hi Matt,

I have several individuals of the Nuevo Mercurio fall.  Most have the
distinct cooling cracks, however, I have some oriented specimens with a
rather smooth texture, similar to Pultusk.  A couple of posted pics of them
are found at: http://www.meteorite.com/gallery/mh_nuevomer.htm

How do they compare with these.  I have seen many variations of crust on
Gao, Pultusk, Holbrook, Mocs, Mbale, and a few other ordinary chondrite
falls. I'm wondering if the crust difference is related at all to the size
of either the original atmospheric entering body, or the individual as
falling.

On another note, there was some confusion in the past about a meteorite
called Nuevo Mercurio (B) that may have actually been a smuggled Australian
meteorite, possibly a ureilite.  This name was given since the Mexican
government is not as protective of its meteorites compared to Australia.

Let me know you thoughts.

Martin

Follow-Ups: References: