Re: Nuveo Mercurio B??

Matt Morgan wrote:

> Hi all. A quick question on the subject of meteorites.
> I have what I was told is a Nuevo Mercurio meteorite,
> 100% crusted, black. I just recently saw several
> other Nuevos with the same proportion of crust that
> look significantly different. The other Nuevos have
> the characteristic "cooling cracks" and thick, tar-like
> crust, that is dull in appearance. The one I have
> is rather thin, and is COMPLETELY smooth, no cracks
> or lines on its surface. Now does anyone know if
> you can actually tell if the meteorite is from a diff-
> erent fall/find based on its crust, at least to warrant
> further examination? I hate to cut this little gem up.
> But it just doesn't "look right"...comments??
> Thanks,
> Matt Morgan
Dear Matt,
	I know of at least 5 senarios that would account for the phenomenon you
describe:
1) The specimen you have is mearly atypical of the Nuevo Murcurio
fall, but is, indeed part of the fall known by that name.
2) This is a representative of a DIFFERENT fall, but in the same
location. (this would make it "Nuevo Murcurio "B" - or C, whatever)
3) It is a specimen which was accidentally mixed in with a batch of
N. Murcurio by a dealer, or field collector, or even yourself.
4) It was mistakenly labled N.M. by a field collector or dealer.
5) It was purposely misslabeled by a field collector or dealer. (this,
in my opinion is the least likely)
	I once sold a number of Allendes to an individual who later contacted
me to tell me he had cut & polished several of them (which, in itself
horrified me, since they were all highly fusion crusted) - and one of
them looked VERY different. I explained to him that it was Allende B (as
I know of at least one other instance of this and I knew my supplyer
well and it had definitely not gotten accidentally mixed) and offered to
let him keep it or return it for a larger specimen at no additional
charge. I was quite pleased he chose the latter, as I now have a far
rarer Allende "B" in my personal collection.
	So, the unfortunate circumstances you are faced with is it would
require destructive measures to a small specimen to even begin to
determine which of the above is the case - (you have probably already
considered all of the above possibilities)
	It might be of some help if you were able to make comparisons with a
large collection of Nuevos (I know of at least one collector who has
dozens of them) - but then, if you find one or two like it, are THEY
N.M. "B", or are they simply indicative of the actual range of
differences in appearances extant in this fall?
	While the Catalog of Meteorites does not list a N.M.B, you might want
to contact Carlton Moore at Az. State in Tempe, John Wasson at UCLA
and/or A.J. Brearley at U. of N. M. to see if they know of a N.M."B"
	Let us know if your investigations turn up anything interesting.
	Best wishes, Michael