Re: Australian Report

(I wrote this as soon as I read Joel's posting, but was interrupted until
now.  I decided to go ahead post it anyway.  I guess it goes to show that
that there are few original ideas left, and obviously none flowing from my
fingertips.)

Dear Joel,

I think you are feeling effects of the paradigm shift the Internet
(including email, discussion groups, listserves, and the like) is causing
in the world of information decimation.  I too wondered some of the same
things Michael Blood posted when I read your earlier message.

Personally, I view Meteorite! as more of a chronicle and archive of the
current meteorite landscape.  For late breaking news, well, I read three or
four excerpts about my own article in the last issue two (yes 2) weeks
before I ever received my own issue.  However, once all the issues are out,
the playing field is level again, and M! will be the reference when we do
research in the future.

I did not printout Ron's posting, I have no idea what the specimen looks
like, where it resides, or the circumstances of its discovery.  Simply
knowing about the new find is just the beginning.  Joel, I was hoping M!
would provide more than the press release.  If deadlines limit the content,
then the following issue could contain more of this story that obviously
won't be going away soon.  How about a quote from Haag.  I bet I'm not the
only one who is curious about Haag's reaction to this new find which is,
I'm guessing, 30 times greater in mass than the Calcalong Creek specimen in
his collection.

In a nutshell, Joel, I appreciate your concern with the speed and reach of
this electronic medium, however, come this and every December, without
hesitation, there will be a check from me flying across the ocean and into
the Pallasite Press's bank account.

Sincerely,

Martin Horejsi