Re: New images of meteorites just set up

Thanks, Jim

Yours is one site I haven't cross-linked to, the other being
the gallery at the Meteorite Central with so many of Martin's
pictures.

I have been experimenting with a microscope adapter and camera,
but I haven't been satisfied with the results yet.

The few photomicrographs I made were done through Michael
Blood's stereo microscope using a macro lens on a tripod.
It's a bit clumsy, but it works.

The images need a lot of yellow->blue correction if you don't
use tungsten film.

I plan to do a lot more of these when I get some free time.

Another thing I planned to do is mark up some images with
identification of the mineral parts. For example, it's easy to
find the CAI's in Allende, but how can you tell the difference
between hypersthene grren glass and olivine green glass, let alone
the other half dozen common minerals?

I have read about these in books, but I have a lot of trouble
identifying these in samples. If anyone would car to help, I'd be much
obliged.

--
          Jim Hurley
       Arachnaut's Lair