Re: Important aspects of advertising...

I have inadvertantly posted two replies by accident with specific weights and
prices for meteorites in the last few days. If you go and look at the post you
will see that it is geared for a specific person who emailed me through the list
for information and I did not see that he used the mailing list so I simply hit
reply. I apologize for the email that was not meant for this list but right now
with things so crazy here in Tucson accidents will likely continue to happen with
this not only by me but by others out here. Please try to understand that many
people on this list make similar mistakes and every person gets that email.
ow as far as advertising goes,  I and most others I have spoken to about it feel
that it is appropriate in small doses to inform the list when new stuff or good
deals come along. I prefer that since I have no time to cruise the 20 websites out
there selling meteorites. there are many new meteorites that have just came onto
the market here at the show and most people want o know asap in order to get some
or just here about it. Who wants to wait the month or two before most dealers go
home and do inventory to make a new list? I tried not to make a blatend
advertisement but merely a bulleten that I had some new material. If we have
offended you in any way please try to tolerate this type of email and hit delete
if you arent interested. This list is meant for everyone and everyone has
different tastes in what they are interested in.

I have posted some new photos to my Tucson page with some of the people here!
go take a look and see what the people you have emailed for so long look like! If
you dare!
http://www.concentric.net/~farmerm
Thanks
Mike Farmer

AlphaPhoto@aol.com wrote:

> Dear Fellow Meteorite collectors..
>                                                  I have been reading both the
> compliments and the complaints concerning advertising to other meteorite
> interested parties. I, for one, don't mind the advertising on here.. it is
> quite beneficial to all of us. Sometimes, things that irritate us get posted,
> sometimes, beneficial things of interest to us all... but, as the expression
> goes, variety IS the spice of life.
>    I have had many irritating things sent to me via e-mail.. everything fron
> "adult mail" to junk schemes, to get some fast money. I think that if we were
> to look closely at the meteorite list... those that think they are going to
> "scam" anyone, back off rather fast when they see that they are not dealing
> with the "ordinary" market.
>    I have been in mail order sales since 1968.. I've seen it all!!! from get
> rich schemes, to multi-levil marketing programs....The meteorite postings here
> are by far, the most benefiacal way of obtaining the latest to the minute
> information on new finds, and items that are of interest to us all.
>    I don't usually make many comments here, on meteorite central.. I usually
> sit back, read the mail, and respond personally to what interests me. Oh sure,
> I have a few good laughs at some things, but all and all, I think that the
> "quality" postings here are by far not in the offensive catagory at all. I
> enjoy reading all of the members  postings, what I don't like, I delete.....
>    I feel that the people that are on meteorite central that I have both
> listened to, and talked with are by far, quality-orientated people. I enjoy
> the narrow-field postings, it eliminates what I don't want to get involved
> with.
>    I think that all things considered, the best thing to do here, is just let
> things run as they have been.... I know I have no complaints!
>

> John Walters / Editor
>
> Voyage! Magazine

Follow-Ups: References: