Re: 20 questions on Sikhote etching

FERNLEA4@aol.com schrieb:

> Someone once told me that this coarsest octahedrite has bands that can
> be up to 50mm wide, so I could end up with a slice that has at most
> only 2 bands showing when etched. Is the 50mm width typical or the
> extreme, and is there a minimum slice size to aim for?

Hi Rob, hi List!

With so much Sikhote Alin material in our collections I thought Rob
would be swamped with reactions from other list members.

I bought a slightly edged Sikhote from Walter Zeitschel many years ago.
It is shaped like a crescent young Moon (60 mm x 25 mm x 6 mm) and shows
bands of differing widths: 6 mm / 8 mm / > 10 mm.

Thus this small crescent specimen shows 6 different areas and as Rob
states those 50 mm are probably the extreme. Any other examples out
there? Rob and I, we are waiting for more contributions. Let's go,
Ladies and Gentlemen!

Best wishes, Bernd

TO UN-SUBSCRIBE: