Re: Tektite meteorite

Hi Dave and List:

The tektite you have described in size and shape sounds like a generic
indochinite. You did not mention color but I assume it was black. The brown
material in the pits sounds like the remains of the lateritic soils common
to the areas in which indochinites are found in Thailand. If it is a
indochinite splashform than it was overpriced, but this was a government
gift shop so what is really the meaning of overpriced.
''You don't think they really get $20,000 for a hammer and $30,000 for a
toilet seat do you." rough quote from Independence Day.

The brown material in some of the tektites is very hard and is like a
concretion filling the deeper pits. So it is hard to say if it was poor
preparation or not. If the material was soft and powdery like the clay soil
then it was. If it was hard and dark brown than it was one of these
interesting bit of material which I personally tend to buy if I see them.
And they are difficult to remove safely and I would rather have them in the
specimen.

Jim Tobin
The Meteorite Exchange
www.meteorite.com
P.O.7000-455, Redondo Beach, CA 90277 USA