Re: Water in the solar system - was Re: halite in Monahans

Ahh... no, I wasn't referring to Monahans. Someone had asked
how common water would be in meteorites or where it is common
in the solar system. I was answering that it was pretty common.

All of Earth's oceans came from early impacts.
Murchison has a good deal of water. etc... All petrological types
1 and 2 evolved in a watery environment.

Water is fairly common in the asteroid belt (or was in the early days).

The nearer terrestrial planets were quite dry after the sun flared,
all the water came later.

You would have to be at about 5 AU to find solid water when the Sun was
going through it's early phases.