Re: Blue Salt

>   This is really interesting stuff.    Athough I agree with you that it is
>possible that water could have been in a liquid state on an asteroidal body,
>I am wondering why we have no other H-5 chondrites that have ever been found
>with aquious alterations.    Monahans appears to be quite unique in this
>respect.

The water deposits would be small in relation to the asteroid body, so
you wouldn't necessarily find it in every meteorite.
Salt crystals have been found in other meteorites before, and Monahans
is not the first.  The fragile nature of the salt crystals indicates that
they be more common than we thought, and they really weren't looked for before.
Exposure to moisture or using the cutting methods that is normally used to
cut up meteorites would destroy the salt crystals.

Ron Baalke