Re: The Fight for Truth, Justice & the American Way

> We have all been told that the Mining Law of 1872 does not include meteorites
> becuase they are not "locatable minerals."  A week or so ago, I talked a
> little about that I felt that meteorite ARE VERY LOCATABLE!  If you see one
> fall you go pick it up!  You go to the Imilac, Holbrook, Odessa, Gold Basin
> and Canyon Diablo sites and meteorites are easy to "locate."   Should that be
> approached in arguement, or since a judge already ruled on that, should we
> stay away from it?

What is the legal definition of "locatable minerals"? Also, does the Mining
Law of 1872 apply? If not, then whether is meteorite is locatable or not is
irrevelent as the federal courts had already ruled that the Mining Law of 1872
does not apply to meteorite ownership on government lands.  In the Old Woman
meteorite case, the miners tried to claim ownership of the meteorite under the
Mining Law of 1872.  The courts ruled that the Antiquities Act took precedent
over the Mining Law of 1872, as meteorites are objects of scientific interest.
If you can show that the Monhanas meteorite are NOT objects of scientific
interest (which realistically is doubtful), then you perhaps can get the
court ruling overturned.

Ron Baalke