Re: Farrington's Circle

Gene - James Marlin schrieb:

> According to a site I've found, there is a significant anomaly in the
> distribution of iron meteorites in the southeast United States. Can
> someone back this up?

Hello Gene, hello List!

I come up with a total of 1125 meteorites (Stones + Irons + Stony Irons)
for the United States at the moment.

a) 756 out of these 1125 meteorites are stones.
b) 314 out of these 1125 meteorites are irons.
c) 028 out of these 1125 meteorites are stony-irons.
d) 014 out of these 1125 meteorites are pseudometeorites.
e) 012 out of these 1125 meteorites are doubtful.
f) Wauneta is listed in error, this material never existed.

Total of Finds: 985
Total of Falls: 140

I come up with  97  I R O N  meteorites for the states of Alabama,
Georgia, Kentucky, North Carolina, South Carolina, Ohio, Tennessee, West
Virginia and Virginia.

There are some inconsistencies in the F's C article:

Of the nearly  7 0 0 meteorite  f a l l s  cataloged in the U.S., more
than 17% - m o s t  of  t h e m  iron-nickel types - have clustered
within this relatively small geographical area that is centered on Mt.
Mitchell (NC).

For North Carolina, my database yields 19 iron meteorites, Tennessee has
got 20.

Best wishes, Bernd