Lunartics Anonymous

Hello List,

I was talking with some friends about the Moon Rock and its seemingly high
price really shocked them.  I pointed out that a 1 carat (0.2g) piece of
DaG262 costs around $5,000.  But in contrast, I asked them, how many people
would they guess have spent more than $5,000 on a 1 carat diamond?  And the
answer was "Lots of people!"

There have been millions and millions and millions of 1 carat diamonds sold
(probably every year) and no one is pointing out how stupid people are for
buying into that racket!  Why do people buy diamonds?  To cut glass?  Nope!
To cut meteorites?  Wwell a few people do!  No, they buy them to impress
people!

And I would venture to say, that for the price of this Lunar Material, it is
going to be very hard to find many things that will impress people more!  You
could buy a whole gram of the Moon with the amount of money that thousands of
people loose in one day in depreciation on their new Mercedes S600 when they
drive them off the lot!

You could buy a 0.03g piece of the Moon for the price people are paying for
some Beanie Babies!  Heck, you could even get a 0.132g of Lunar material for
the price/gram that someone paid at auction for a 0.26g piece of Governador
Valaderes!

But maybe the best value of all, is going to be the feeling that a few of us
are going to have when we open that package tomorrow, Saturday or possibly
Monday, when we pull out our very own piece of the most valuable real estate
in our solar system!  I have been waiting for six years for this moment!  And
I know many of you have been waiting a lot longer than that!  This is the
stuff those Master Card "priceless" commercials are made of.

Will more Lunar material come out at a lower price?  Maybe, maybe not.  But I
will tell you one thing, if it weren't for Blaine bringing out these few grams
to us "little folks" at the sizes and prices that he did, I can guarantee you
the price of this stuff would have stayed closer to the $100,000 per gram
spot!  And there are going to be those dealers who were holding out for that
$100,000/g that probably aren't too happy with this situation!

So even if more will come out at lower prices, you know who you can thank!
And as I understand, most of this sold in $1,000 sizes and smaller, so if more
comes out at $20,000/g or $15,000/g or $10,000/g or $5,000/g or $1/g, line up
and get some more, and thank Blaine while you do!  At least we don't have to
worry about the value of it dropping as far at it has since the original
"Lunartic" paid the $440,000 for the fraction of a carat of Russian Moon dust
several years back at auction!

On the other side of things, remember that the Dar al Gani 262 was only 518g,
and the odds are that if anything hits the market in large volume, it will be
the Dar al Gani 400 since it weighs 1,425g total.  So just as the prices vary
quite a bit between various SNCs, Carbonaceous and every other type, so most
likely they will with Lunar specimens too!  And there will always be some
people who want to collect ALL non-Antarctic Lunar specimens just like there
are those who covet having all 6 non-Antarctic SNCs.

For those of you who are hoping that this might actually be a good investment,
the single most important thing you can do to help insure that it will be, is
to show off your collection to as many people as you can, especially your new
Moon Rock!  If everyone could help one other person get addicted to this
hobby, then demand would double and we can continue to see the value in all of
these increase!

Or on the other hand, there may be a day when 90% of the collectors will wake
up and say "This is crazy!"  And if they would all bail out, prices will fall
to 1930 levels, and the few collectors left will really get the chance to
build up their collections at great prices!

And if it is any consolation, it is nice to know that there were a bunch of
other crazy (or smart???) people who hit their redial buttons several times
trying to call Blaine to get their pieces at these prices!  That is a little
more reassuring than ending up being the highest bidder at an auction and
wondering "Why I am the only person in the whole world that is willing to pay
this much?"

Well, savor the "priceless moment" when you open your package!  And for those
of you who have pieces big enough to hold in your bare hands, be careful not
to sneeze!

Steve