Re: Vugs, vacuoles and voids

Steven Excell wrote:

> The cause of the pressure is gravity.  And, no, I would not be willing to
> stand in the very center of a planetary core to take a pressure reading.

Hello Steve and all,

That's the best part of a thought experiment, you don't have to stand in
the center of a planetary core to take a pressure reading, there is no
pressure to read. Gravity is a function of mass and, at the center of a
planetary core, all the mass surrounds the core and gravity is
attracting away from the core in all directions; "down" is towards the
surface.

I know it's counterintuitive, but it should be possible for a gas to
exsolve from molten or plastic Ni-Fe at or near the core of a
differentiated body. This might get an interesting discussion going and
I may very well be ignoring an important consideration. Who knows, maybe
Jules Verne was right and the center of the Earth is hollow?

Gene