Re: Arizona Fragments Found?

David Early wrote:

> Matt,
>
> The following line from the article seems to cast doubt on the objects
> meteoritic origin:
>
> "The pieces that the Smiths found sport many a pore and are lighter than
> the garden-variety rock."
>
> David
>
> Matt Morgan wrote:
> >
> > Yep, them's meteorites...right.
> >
> > Matt
> >
> >Hello David, Matt, and List,

I found the statement  in the article that preceded the one David quoted
interesting in light of our discussion about the Albion Iron meteorite:

""It's doubtful they've
                                got the mother lode,
                                however, because the
                                lowdown is this:
                                Meteorites are solid --
                                if they're iron, they'd
                                be three times heavier
                                than a rock of a similar
                                size -- and won't have
                                bubblelike pockets or
                                pores. "

I can understand their thinking of the typical iron meteorite without
vacuoles as being heavier and not having bubble-like pockets, but what do
they mean meteorites don't have pores?  If there is one thing I have learned
on this list it is that meteorites, as well as tektites, are aerodynamically
shaped with pock marks.  I assume this is what they mean by pores.  Is this
correct?

Best Wishes,
Julia

Follow-Ups: References: