Re: Vugs, vacuoles and voids

Gene Roberts wrote:
[...]

> been carried into the core along with the iron. Sulfur has a boiling
> point of 444.6C (at 1 atmosphere). Iron has a melting point of 1535C and
> a boiling point of 2750C. Since iron would be a liquid at roughly 3 1/2
> to 6 times the boiling point of sulfur, there could be a significant
> amount of pressure exerted on the iron.
[...]

1 atmosphere? What would be a typical pressure at the center of say,
a 1000 km planetoid?

Hydrogen could be solid (metallic) at the core of Jupiter.

The mention of temperature, etc. must include the pressure to be
meaningful. We are not dealing with normal envvironments.

Follow-Ups: References: