Re: Hi from a "newbie"

> So, that's me. I put my hands up and admit to the charge of liking meteorites,
> I'm fascinated by them and I enjoy sharing them with people. Can someone just
> be honest and tell me, with all this arguing and accusing going on, is there a
> place for someone like me here..? If not, I'll just go and show a class of 7
> year olds my etched piece of Gibeon, and tell a wide-eyed little girl that
> yes, it really *did* come from space, and yes, it really **would** look lovely
> as a locket... :-))

Yes, Stu
The Totally Unofficial and Unappointed Committee of One welcomes you to
this virtual community.  There is a place for you and other "newbies"
who all have something unique to bring to the table.  You enter during
only one of a never ending series of (sometimes rancorous) debates.  My
personal observation is that along with the noise you'll learn a lot,
and its worth putting up with the occasional curmudgeonly outburst- you
should not run.

More to the point, you're one of the few who have brought up the
important issue of education.  I myself have enjoyed giving local talks
with my specimens, and am always amused when a parent asks if their
children are invited to attend.  My reaction is a resounding "Of
course!"  I always make sure to have some Gibeon, tektites and so forth
for people who have never before been fortunate to handle them. Your
reminder to us all that meteorites etc. are more than just collectables
is a welcome point of view.