[Fwd: Hi from a "newbie"]

Seems to have been eaten by the list SNAFU.

Gene

-- BEGIN included message

STUARTATK@aol.com wrote:

> Hi List,
>
> Having just joined the list over the weekend I think I qualify as one of the
> "newbies" referred to in a recent posting. I joined the list after coming
> across it on the Sky & Telescope site in the hope of meeting people who share
> my interest in and love of meteorites... and yes, after a couple of days of
> following the Peekskill thing I've been tempted to run in terror, but I'm
> sticking with it after reading a couple of other postings from others who
> actually seem to - gasp! - *like* meteorites.. :-)

Hello Stu,

At the risk of sounding redundant, welcome to the list! It's good to
have someone with your interests on board. And you weren't scared away,
albeit the Monahans and Peekskill discussions have been mild compared to
some in the past. I also have to admit involvement in some of the
earlier "discussions" to be completely honest.

My own interest in collecting meteorites is the culmination of a
lifetime interest in astronomy and planetary science. Five or six years
ago I decided I just had to have (just one) piece of something from
space. I now have several localities and have developed an interest in
the more exotic pieces like Murchison, Allende, Mt. Tazerzait, Albion
(wish I could get a vug) and others.

As for my personal background (for you, too, JJ) I'm a retired systems
analyst (working part time for the same company as a consultant and
making as much as when I was full time -- such a deal!) and get to spend
some time pursuing my own personal research interests. I've been found
on occasion at our local elementary school with some specimens and reams
of information off the Internet for the kids to get into. Zagami really
flips them out, by the way. I also tend to get a little short with
dealers who try to over promote meteorites or treat them as a commodity.
(Easy, guys. I'm just sharing my feelings, not trying to start
something.)

Hope to see you on the list often, Stu. It sounds like you have a lot of
enthusiasm and much to contribute.

Gene

-- END included message