[Fwd: Pressure == 0 at the center of a mass?!]

Another casualty of the black hole of cyberspace.

Gene

-- BEGIN included message

Jim Hurley wrote:

> I am having trouble with this idea of zero pressure at the center of an
> object. I have no problem with zero weight and unchanged mass.
>
> Firstly, gravity attracts, or pulls towards, not pulling 'away equally
> in all directions'. I would say that all parts of the object are
> compressing and attracting equally at the center, so you fell pressure
> from all the weight in every direction
> above you.

Hello Jim,

You seem to have found the fly in my ointment and made some excellent
points (sorry, again) in a most entertaining manner. We are facing an
interesting dilemma: the Albion vugs exist as apparently primary
formations and shouldn't be there.

-- One of these days I'll get to finish a message in one shot. --

Anyway, I understand the point you are making -- If the center were
hollow, the would be no pressure, but given a liquid or solid core we
are, as it were, caught between a rock and a hard place. Now we have to
consider many unknown variables in looking at the Albion vugs: How big
was the Albion parent body; what transitional episodes did the core go
through during development; what might be the affect of a slow moving,
expanding plume in a solid, but plastic core; what would be the affect
if the vug area were offset from the core, etc.

I think I'll be happy knowing the vugs are there and people much smarter
than I wish they weren't. ;-)

Gene

P.S. Is anyone interested in a slice of Dimmitt with what appears to be
an inclusion of some kind of red plastic reflective material?

-- END included message