Re: Collectors

  Hi folks,

At 05:56 PM 6/19/98 EDT, you wrote:
>Hey Rob,
>
>Okay, so, *that's* the guy... now we have to figure out what we do next. Maybe
>some serious letter writing from all concerned List members is in order? Or
>has anyone out there got an e-mail address for the Uni of Glasgow?

    First we should know EXACTLY what Mr. Roy said, before we start making
ourselve's heard. Maybe a transcript is needed of the segment Rob was in.
We have to be careful I think before we jump.

>I'm not suggesting we flame the guy, just that we put our point of view
>across.

  In NO way should we flame the guy, that would only damage US. We need to
educate people like that.

I like the question Steve said to pose to people with Mr. Roy's attitude:

"Next time ask Dr. X what his salary is, and how many new
meteorites he has turned up last year?  That ought to shut him up!"

The salary part I could care less about but the 2nd question is the stinger!

  Like astronomy, where amateur's discover the most comets, asteroids,
Novas, keep track of planetary happenings, solar observations, etc. amateur
meteorite hunters and collectors are a VERY BIG help to science. The PRO
scientists have NO TIME to do what we do, nor the funds. Imagine how many
LESS meteorites they'd know about WITHOUT US.

Regards,
Tom Randall