Recent Problems and Some New Policies

Good Morning all and Pardon the Sunday Intrusion!

I first of all wanted to commend all of you for your insightful contributions to the list this past year. We now have  250-300 members and it's growing steadily. It is so exciting to see so many people becoming interested in these rocks from space!  We all knew they'd catch on!

You may have recently noticed that the list was down for two days last week. This was brought about by a new policy that my host has regarding lists. As mails can cause massive bandwidth use, my provider has started to 'crack-down' on high volume sites. (at first this kind of made me feel good knowing we have a high-volume list!). But the truth of the matter is the list can cause quite a burden on their mail server and they are starting to take heed. (to give you an idea , they didn't even notify me that they suspended the list until I called them!)

So this is what we need to do in the future in order to continue this valuable resource:

1)  Make a conscious effort to cut back on the ego-mail postings ... that should be kept for private mails.

2)  Please do not attach any images or html pages to your posts ... links are the way to go - images take up way to much space. (and wreek havoc on the archive)
     Don't get me wrong, I love the long, interesting, in-depth posts ; just don't attach html formatted media or images.

3)  Try to be extra careful not to double post messages ... I know it can happen but just try to be careful!

4)  I'm going to start removing addresses after three bounces; if it's a server problem on your end, you'll just need to re-subscribe when it's fixed .. sorry

5)  I'm also going to switch the list to 'subscriber-only'; meaning you can't post if your not a list member. This will cut down on some of the spam we've been experiencing.

4)  And finally, make sure to brush up on the standard policies that can be found at http://www.meteoritecentral.com/mailing_list.html

Well, That's it for now! My ISP wasn't to upset but they did give a pretty stern warning. Hopefully if we all try to concentrate on the things I've mentioned, the list can boldly go into the next millenium!  (you know when we'll all be searching the strewn fields of Mars, and terrestial rocks will be the rarity!)

Best Regards and Happy Hunting ~ there must be something out there in Arizona!    GO MIKE!!

Art Jones
http://www.meteoritecentral.com/
http://www.blurtheline.com/