Re: Response strategy

Otherwise, I see that the opponents have
> far too much power for this to be a winning battle in the long run.  Let
> us not go off half-cocked (odd, coming from me) in our idealism.  This
> has been done throughout history in many wars.  The winners are the
> strategists.

Something obvious to rememberw when dealing with anyone is to stress how
what you are doing will benefit _them_. (There is no "I" in a successful
conversation) It is important to stress that many meteorites found by
collectors are shared with Smithsonian for research. It should also be
stressed that we like to educate the public about meteorites. In short,
if the media comes knocking and they want to know why you look for
meteorites, you should should always hint at the good feeling you get
from "advancing the science" and "educating the public". In short, think
not of what you can do for yourself, but what you can do for Science.
That should earn you some respect, provided you are the least bit
truthful.

In addition, the alert collector will use the media for his advantage:
make sure you end an interview with what meteorites look like, and how
to get a suspicious rock checked out. Give a plug for the Smithsonian,
and you should look good for the public.