Re: Meteorite Falls

In a message dated 6/22/98 7:22:07 AM Central Daylight Time,
Phil@ticetboo.demon.co.uk writes:

<<
 Hmmm. I think Steve is trying to prove the value of amateurs in meteorite
 recovery (it doesn't need to be proven - even the most hardened anti-amateur
 meteoriticists grudgingly acknowledge the role of the amateur/public). But
 should we consider, also, those government employees in Antarctica who have
 picked up many thousands of meteorites?

Hi Phil and List

Good point, Phil.  At least they are willing to work after 5:00pm, that is
getting close the amateur the spirit!  But does anyone know if these people
get paid to do their work in Antarctica, or is it volunteer work, or do their
salaries at their normal jobs cover them?

By the way, what kind of experience does someone need to get that kind of gig
anyway?  That sounds like fun!  Especially if they would guarantee a paycheck
for the trip, and pick up all the expenses too, that would be the greatest!
The only possible thing better, would be if they would let you keep a small
piece of each one you found!   :-)

Steve