Re: MetCAB?

Hi everyone:
Being a dealer, collector, and scientist (who is still on the list:), I have
some
opinions and thoughts on the "complicated" issue of institutions vs.
dealers/collectors and the economics of this hobby.  I am not going to bore you
with
"meteorites as investments" because, personally I think they are not
investments,
but enjoyments and luxuries. Anyway, the prices of "field found" meteorites have
definitely increased within the last few months, and the especially, with the
"public" now aware of the Monahans story.  Just a few months ago, a friend
bought a
25 lb meteorite for 100/lb, yes, per POUND! I attempted to do the same last
week,
however I was informed from the finder that Monahans was worth 30,000 and why
shouldn't he be able to get 30k for his. Of course, you attempt to
explain...but.
We, collectors/dealers/institutions, have to face it, these little celestial
treasures are exactly that, treasure.  When people hear they are older than the
sun
and may "unlock the keys to the formation of the solar system", of course they
think
and know, they have something VERY special, and therefore, VERY expensive.
Furthermore, a few well-known dealers, are economically stupid (INMHO) and pay
extraordiary prices for un-extraordinary meteorite.  That in turn, hurts only
the
collector and occasionally the institution.  So folks, I don't see prices coming
down at all, in fact they will get worse if the current market continues.  We
(from
the collector view point) will just have to buy a 5g slice instead of a 20g
slice,
and be happy we can still hold a piece of another world.  Just my thoughts.

--
Matt Morgan
Mile High Meteorites