Re: meteorite musings

Martin Horejsi schrieb:

> Bernd kindly wrote:
>
>   Gene - James Marlin schrieb:
> > It is interesting to note that during this shower,
> > the Farmington, KS, meteorite fell ...
>
> Farmington (L5) - black, brecciated
> Washington County, Kansas
> Fell 1890, June 25, 13:00 hrs
> After the appearance of a fireball, and detonations, a stone of 188 lb
>
> was seen to fall, and another of 9 lb was found, F.H. Snow, Science,
> 1890, 16, p.38.
> A fragment of an  A p o l l o   a s t e r o i d ?  (B.J. Levin et al.,
>
> Icarus, 1976, 28, p. 307).
>
> Hello Bernd and All,
>
> In a planetary geology textbook, I have seen the Farmington meteorite
> listed as one with a known orbit (along with Lost City). I assumed it
> was a
> mistake, but maybe there is more to this. Also, the Smithsonian has a
> slice
> of Farmington in their main display along with a close-up photograph
> of its
> structure due to an impact.
>
> Does anyone have the issue of Icarus Bernd mentioned containing the
> Levin
> article? I would like to know the reasoning behind their assumption
> that
> Farmington is from an Apollo asteroid.
>
> Also, for those interested in the importance of the Portales
> meteorite,
> here is some text from the Smithsonian explaining the nature of
> mesosiderites:
>
> "Mesosiderites are enigmatic mixtures of metal and igneous rock.
> Catastrophic collisions more than four billion years ago may explain
> this
> unexpected mingling of nickel-iron alloy from the core and rock from
> the
> surface of one or more large asteroids.
>
> The course Widmanstatten structures in the metal suggest that it
> cooled
> very slowly, probably because the rock-metal mixture was deeply buried
>
> following melting and mixing."
>
> Sincerely,
>
> Martin

Hello Martin, hello List!

There are two more references about the Farmington meteorite:

1) OBERST J. (1989) Possible relationship between the Farmington
meteorite and a seismically detected swarm of meteoroids impacting the
Moon (Meteoritics 24-1, 1989, pp. 23-28).

2) BRIDGES J.C. et al. (1995) Cristobalite- and tridymite-bearing clasts
in Parnallee (LL3) and Farmington (L5) (Meteoritics 30-6, 1995,
715-727).

Unfortunately I am very busy with my preparations for school tomorrow,
so I don't have time to have a closer look at these two papers.

Best wishes, Bernd