Portales, New Mexico.......New Find!

  From:  Michael Cottingham
             mikewren@gilanet.com

......Just back from Portales.  The temperature was over 112 degrees, cows
were dopping dead, and of course meteorites were being found. This is a
most
incredible find. Every single piece is different.  I found two pieces a 560
gram
individual and a spectacular 128 gram fragment. The individual is covered
in
dark black/blue fusion crust and has weird metal veins protruding through
it.
Is it a mesosiderite? A silicated Iron? Maybe a completely new class......
because it is weird and perhaps the most beautiful meteorite to surface in
years.  The conditions were extreme.....lots of people looking,
temperatures
very, very high(115 degrees), and all private property.  It seemed as if
the
whole town came out to search.  My 560 gram individual was considerd
by most  people to be one of the best pieces. Also, considering I didn't
have to buy it......it was cheap. This reason I state this is that the
field
price got out of hand.  It might be one of the most expensive meteorites
to have come to light in awhile......but for very good reason....it is new,
beautiful, going to be extremely rare, maybe a new class(?),  and very
limited in quantity.  There most likely will be very little in the way of
slices available since most of the individuals are too  cool & beautiful to
cut.

I will be cutting my small fragment into slices shortly....so stay tuned.
Also don't ask if my 560 gram individual is for sale.....unless you can
afford $25,000(firm)

Michael,

TO UN-SUBSCRIBE: