Re: Portales, New Mexico.......New Find!

Hello Mike and List,

> ......Just back from Portales.  The temperature was over 112 degrees, cows
>  were dopping dead, and of course meteorites were being found. This is a
>  most incredible find. Every single piece is different.  I found two pieces
a 560
>  gram individual and a spectacular 128 gram fragment.

Congratulations on finding the pieces!  In spite of the heat, you perservered.
Nininger would have been proud!

>The individual is covered in dark black/blue fusion crust and has weird metal
veins >protruding through it.

Why are the metal veins weird?

>  Is it a mesosiderite? A silicated Iron? Maybe a completely new class......
>  because it is weird and perhaps the most beautiful meteorite to surface in

Sounds like a mesosiderite.  What makes you think it might be a completely new
class?

>  years.  The conditions were extreme.....lots of people looking,
>  temperatures very, very high(115 degrees), and all private property.  It
seemed as >  if the whole town came out to search.  My 560 gram individual was
considerd
>  by most  people to be one of the best pieces. Also, considering I didn't
>  have to buy it......it was cheap. This reason I state this is that the
>  field price got out of hand.

Since it fell on private property, what arrangements were made with the owners
for keeping the ones you found (I am not trying to be antagonistic, ala
Monahans - just curious).  Also, I don't understand "the field price got out
of hand."  What do you mean.

>  It might be one of the most expensive meteorites
>  to have come to light in awhile......but for very good reason....it is new,
>  beautiful, going to be extremely rare, maybe a new class(?),  and very
>  limited in quantity.  There most likely will be very little in the way of
>  slices available since most of the individuals are too  cool & beautiful to
>  cut.
>
>  I will be cutting my small fragment into slices shortly....so stay tuned.
>  Also don't ask if my 560 gram individual is for sale.....unless you can
>  afford $25,000(firm)

Not interested.

Regards,

-Walter