Re: Tektite Origin

A 07:19 01/03/98 GMT, vous avez écrit :

>In one of the excellent articles in Meteorite Magazine that I just
received,

>the ages of various tektites were listed. Also a discussion on origin
and where

>they might come from. In the past a lunar origin was purposed but since
the

>Apollo Moon landings it is my understanding that this is not considered
due to

>the lack of silica (or correct form of) on the lunar surface. I
understand

>there is one scientist who still embraces this idea.

>The probability of large Earth impacting bodies is a more accepted
theory at

>this time, with a possible link with Ries Crater and the moldavites. I
was

>wondering if anyone had more information on this they would care to
share with

>me (and the group) as I find myself sadly lacking in knowledge on this
subject.

>--AL

Tektites contain the same ingredients than Earth sediments.That rules out
a lunar origin.Moldavites can be linked to the Ries crater,Ivory Coast
tektites to the Bosumtwi crater and North American tektites to the
Chesapeake Bay and maybe the Toms Canyon crater (a possible double
impact).The crater for the Australasian tektites has not yet been
found.It must be searched for in the sea surrounding Vietnam.The impact
occurred some 770000 years ago during the Günz-glaciation.Due to eustatic
movements,the sea level was about -80 m.German readers can read all this
in my book 'Tektite-Zeugen kosmischer Katastrophen'.It deals with
all problems of tektite origin and refers to
almost thousand papers on tektites.

An English translation will come end 1998.My friend Patrick Helminger has
already translated into English,but we have now the problem to find an
Anglophone speaking also German to check the translation (not a
Germanophone speaking also English)!!

Greetings from Luxemburg

Guy