Re: Chixulub: Not an Impact Structure?

A 17:55 28/02/98 -0800, vous avez écrit :

>Just after my post recapping the Chixulub impact crater evidence, I
openned my new copy of the The Planetary Report (the Planetary Society
magazine) and found a great article entitled, "The Shiva Hypothesis:
Impacts, Mass Extinctions and the Galaxy."  The article is by Michael
Rampino, one of the well-known scientists who study mass extinctions and
impact cratering processes (and who, with Stothers, borrowed the term
"nuclear winter" to describing an impact aftermath).

>What was most surprising was a new JPL/NASA radar image of the impact
crater showing the crater floor boundary and floor.  This is a partial
image.  Does anyone know of a website with the entire image???

>Thanks,

>Steve

>Seattle, Washington USA

>excell@cris.com

A very interesting paper on the Chicxulub structure has been written by
Dr.Christian Koeberl,an authority on impact cratering and impact glasses
including tektites:

Chicxulub-The K-T Boundary Impact Crater:A Review of the
Evidence,and an Introduction to Impact Crater
Studies.Abhandlungen der Geologischen
Bundesanstalt,p.23-50.Vienna,1996.

ISSN 0016-7800;ISBN 3-900312-97-4.