Re: Dresden meteorite collection

At 08:06 AM 3/03/98 -0800, you wrote:
>Dear List,

>... in 1791 even Chladni didn't know anything about meteorites, (misprint
for 1797? see page 8 )) ...

Well, by 1794 Chladni knew a great deal about meteorites. I have just read
an English translation of Chladni's epic work, "Uber den ursprung..." i.e.
"On the origin..." and in it he very scientifically correctly deduces the
origin of meteorites (commonly then thought to be caused by lightning,
volcanoes or other such terrestrial phenomena) as well as the origin of
planetary formation. He was a very clever fellow, and we will publish some
excerpts of his brilliance in the next issue of METEORITE!.

By the way, this English translation may be available commercially in the
near future.

Joel