replies to list or to sender

The list owner did not switch protocols so he could try something new, and
the diversity of the list will not be affected by this change.  Some good
reasons he might have done it include:
1. on this list, every time a dealer announces a bargain, the list gets
many replies, that should have gone to the dealer
2. on this list, many personal replies (that have been better left unsaid)
have been broadcast to the list instead of to the individual being replied
to.  This includes some mail that was very hostile, but mostly just a lot
of messages that add up to a lot of wasted reading.  Yes, you can delete
some messages by the subject line, without opening, but many replies just
use the subject line from the original message.
3. This list has had participation from some very well placed professionals
in the field.  The list is not solely for them, and we don't need to
accomodate them or be reverent to them.  But if we want to have their
input, we need to keep the noise level to a reasonable level.