Re: Shocked Quartz (cleavable)

Calvin Shipbaugh wrote:

> JJSwaim wrote:
> >
> > Hi to all list members,
> >
> > With regard to toxicity in specimens, how can one distinguish between
> > shocked quartz from a nuclear test site and shocked quartz from an
> > impact site?  This is of particular importance to me as I have eight
> > specimens in the area on my computer desk.  I purchased them from a
> > storeowner who did not even know what they were, but said they were from
> > Peru.  Whether this is true, I have no idea.  Never occurred to me they
> > might be the result of nuclear testing.  Any advice would be greatly
> > appreciated. Thank you.jj
>
> On a constructive note, try checking out:
>
>   http://www.minresco.com/trin_ful/trin.htm
>
> This page has pictures of some trinitite samples.  These are glassy
> products from the Trinity site of the first atomic explosion.  I can't
> guarantee all such glasses would look like this, but you can at least
> compare the trinitite pictures with your rocks for a start.

Although Trinitite IS radioactive, it's not THAT radioactive.  You wouldnt
want to wear it as jewelry or tape it to your 'nads or anything, but a piece
in a display case won't make you glow in the dark.

If you think you have some, a geiger counter is just the thing to check it
out.

The US Army has twice yearly tours to Trinity site wherein you convoy from
Alamagordo (usually a couple hundred cars) across the missile range to the
site.  Most of the trinitite has been removed, except for small (pea sized)
pieces that you can pick up (though they tell you not to).  There is still a
portion of the original trinitite "crater" left intact and covered by a glass
enclosure.

High excitement it's not.  But if you are in New Mexico on the first weekend
of May or October (I think) then it's worth checking out.

Jim