Re: Shocked Quartz (cleavable)

JJSwaim wrote:

> Hi to all list members,
>
> With regard to toxicity in specimens, how can one distinguish between
> shocked quartz from a nuclear test site and shocked quartz from an
> impact site?  This is of particular importance to me as I have eight
> specimens in the area on my computer desk.  I purchased them from a
> storeowner who did not even know what they were, but said they were from
> Peru.  Whether this is true, I have no idea.  Never occurred to me they
> might be the result of nuclear testing.  Any advice would be greatly
> appreciated. Thank you.jj

On a constructive note, try checking out:

  http://www.minresco.com/trin_ful/trin.htm

This page has pictures of some trinitite samples.  These are glassy
products from the Trinity site of the first atomic explosion.  I can't
guarantee all such glasses would look like this, but you can at least
compare the trinitite pictures with your rocks for a start.

Follow-Ups: References: