Re: addendum Re: ALH84001 -

<< 	THE QUESTION WAS, even at exhorbitant prices, such as the $400K for a
 fraction of a gram paid at auction a couple of years ago for USSR lunar
 material, WOULD THE FUNDS GENERATED make it worth while in subsidizing
 further research missions?  Michael

It seems to me that the issue is a matter of principle (many would say "ego.")
Every time I have ever seen a news story on the collecting of meteorites, when
the scientists or curators are interviewed, they only have bad things to say
about collectors and dealers.  At best, dealers are considered "necessary
evils" in the whole equation.

So I would guess that the powers at be would not like the idea of supporting
the hobby of private collectors by letting them have ANY Apollo material, no
matter how much money could be made.  I think it would be a little like asking
a church to sell drugs to raise money for missions!  First of all it would be
illegal, second of all it would go against their ethics.

Just my opinion.

Steve