Re: fresh appearing Sikhote Alins

Dear Peter and the rest of the members of the newsletter,
	This ("processed" S-As) brings up a VERY intriguing issue. I was aware
that some of the Gao that became available about 2 years ago had been
"sand blasted" with a powder (NOT sand) that was softer than fusion
crust, but of sufficient inertia to "blast" off rust (at one time I
heard this was talc, which is THE definition of a hardness of 1 - common
glass is a hardness of ABOUT 5.5, so, fusion crust would be totally
unefected by talk - however, I was never able to varify this was the
medium being used). I thought very long and hard about this before
decinding I did not find it offensive. (I always evaluate such things as
a collector, then apply my standards as a collector to  my dealing)
	HOWEVER, I have heard of OTHER processes I find abhorent - ie using
acid to clean S-A s - I have seen such specimens and, under the
microscope, one can easily see the carossive efect on the natural fusion
crust - even at very low magnification. I consider processes such as
that very objectionable on several levels. The idea someone would, in
addition, add an artificial coloring process is an outrage, as they are
now clearly attempting deception. One could rationally argue that
cleaning a very rusty specimen with acid is preferable - I might not
agree, but I can see the logic - however, to then apply a coloring agent
is pure flim-flamery & indefensable.
	I would think the majority of collectors would agree that NON
DESTRUCTIVE cleaning, such as "talc blasting" of rust is NOT an
inapropriate measure. I do know at least one collector, however, that is
adimately opposed to wire brushing irons - even Canyon Diablos (which
are VERY corrosive) and funky Gibeons, stating it leaves wire marks on
the fusion crust - I cannot, myself, see the point, since, if they are
NOT wire brushed, you never get to SEE the fusion crust, anyway.
	It should also be remembered that if one DOES buy an altered specimen
(such as one with acid corroded fusion crust), while it may be totally
apropriate to request a full refund from the dealer, it should be
realized he may very well have also been an unwitting victim as well and
any resentment regarding the situation is not nessesarily apropriately
directed at him.
	I would LOVE to see an extensive expose' on this topic done in depth by
METEORITE! or VOYAGE!, but I doubt the parties involved in such
practices would readily reveal either themselves OR their processes.
Since the best defense is education. perhaps others on this list are
aware of such practices and would share with us all.
	Best wishes, Michael

Follow-Ups: References: