Re: fresh appearing Sikhote Alins

mblood wrote:

--snip--

>         I would think the majority of collectors would agree that NON
> DESTRUCTIVE cleaning, such as "talc blasting" of rust is NOT an
> inapropriate measure. I do know at least one collector, however, that is
> adimately opposed to wire brushing irons - even Canyon Diablos (which
> are VERY corrosive) and funky Gibeons, stating it leaves wire marks on
> the fusion crust - I cannot, myself, see the point, since, if they are
> NOT wire brushed, you never get to SEE the fusion crust, anyway.

--snip--

Hello everyone,

It would seem to me that if an iron meteorite has oxidized on the surface it
is the fusion crust that has oxidized and any process that removes the
oxidation, be it acids, abrasion or heat-and-quence, is removing at least part
of the fusion crust (which has already been altered by weathering).

I think that people purchasing larger irons as display pieces are more
interested in the exotic shapes and characteristic thumbprinting, however, and
as long as the surface has not been seriously disfigured, find the cleaned
specimens more attractive. If they are charged the rate for original pristine
fusion crust, though, that is a different issue and people should be aware
that cleaning is not an uncommon process.

Gene