Re: fresh appearing Sikhote Alins

Dear Peter(and the list):
	I bought quite a few of the Sikhote-alin meteorites in Tucson because
of their fresh appearance and the shapes were quite appealing.
Personally I value the shape and quality of the regmaglypts over the
presence of light rust.  But that is just a personal preferance.
Anyway, I was told by the Russians that brought them into the country
that they were cleaned by an extremely fine wire wheel which they have
only been able to find as a source in Switzerland.  In fact, they were
critical of other suppliers of Sikhote-alin who, in their opinion, were
guilty of over-cleaning.
	I have a Sikhote-alin which has no rust at all on it that I bought from
Walter Zeitchel two years ago.  It sits on the shelf with no protection,
is handled quite often, and still shows no signs of rust.  I live in
West Virginia so it is quite humid here.
	I am sure others have had different experiences with irons, but mine
has been quite good.

Best Wishes---
Jim