Re: Asteroid Will Miss Earth By Comfortable Distance In 2028

>my point is that someone uninfected with "p.t. barnum syndrome" does not
>issue a request for one's colleagues to do a follow-up on one's
>calculations via a press release!  c'mon.  this would typically have been
>handled far more elegantly.

I do agree with you on that part.  Brian Marsden may have jumped the
gun a bit about this announcement.  On the other hand, his job is to
get the news out as quick as possible on available data.  However, when you
say an asteroid has a chance of impacting the Earth, that does get
people's attention. To get some more insight on this, see this
article:

http://www.abcnews.com/sections/science/DailyNews/asteroid0311.html

Ron Baalke