Re: Monahans

Jeff wrote:
<<
I just want to remind everybody NOT to assume that "Monahans (b)"
will be the name of this meteorite.  There are always options when
it comes to naming meteorites.  >>

Hi list,

I think that the name "Monahans (b)" will be a hard one to avoid.  After all,
the meteorite did hit the town, bulleye!  But Here ar some option that have
been used in the past:

They could be called Monahans (iron) and Monahans (stone) [see Pierceville].

Or they could be called Monahans (no.1) and Monahans (no.2) [see Hale Center].

Or they could be called Monahans (1938) and Monahans (1998) [see Rolla].

Or they could be called Monahans (IIF) and Monahans (L6 or H5 or E6 etc.) [see
Niger]. [Also see Harriman (Of) and Harriman (Om)]

Or they could be called Monahans 38001 and Monahans 98001 [see Alan Hills].

Or there could be more pressure to use U.S.A. 98001 or name them after the
finders with a number, not unlike what some in Northern Africa are wanting to
do now.

And I suppose that if many more are found throughout the county, they could be
called Manohans and Ward County [see Norton County].

Heck, maybe the town could hold a "Name the Meteorite" contest and vote on a
name!  Or name it after one of their founding fathers!

Another thing that must be considered is that there is an impact pit/crater in
the mix too.  What are they going to name the crater?  Maybe a totally
different name like the name of the street it hit?  We cannot assume that the
crater will be called Monahans (b) Crater since the crater at the Brenham site
is NOT called Brenham Crater, but Haviland Crater, not to be confused with the
Haviland (stone) or the Haviland (b) meteorites! [Hey, there is another option
Monahans (iron) and Monahans (b).]

But as I recall the purpose of the Nomenclature Committee adopting the one
standard [ (a), (b), (c), etc.] was to avod all this confusion.

I'll bet a dime that it gets named Monahans (b).

Steve Arnold
 http://www.meteoritebroker.com/">www.meteoritebroker.com