Re: SNCs & Mars

mblood wrote:

> Gene Roberts wrote:
> (SNIP)
> Besides, I don't know of anyone who says the SNCs come from Mars without
> some qualification.
> > Gene
> Dear Gene,
>         I do. Read the excellent article, "El Nakhla," by Kevin Kichinka in
the
> current (May, 1998) issue of METEORITE!
>         Best wishes, Michael

Hello Michael,

Maybe I should have said planetary scientists whose job would be on the
line.  :-)
We have evidence, yes, but no proof. Pathfinder has only shown (no
surprise) that the geology of Mars is as varied as Earth and that
isotopic ratios from the small sample area don't really match Earth or
SNCs, albeit they're closer to SNCs. Even McSween's paper, "What We Have
Learned about Mars from SNC Meteorites," opens with the qualifier, "The
SNC meteorites are thought to be igneous rocks from Mars." It's a bit
dated, but it's one of the most comprehensive summaries around.

Happy hunting.

Gene