Re: Happy Canyon an EL7?

Hello All,

Regarding the 7 designation in Happy Canyon, I'm wondering if a change from
a 6 to a 7 (or maybe even a 5 to a 7) could have taken place through
weathering here on earth. When comparing E chondrites visually, Happy
Canyon stands out as considerably more weathered than the others I have to
compare it with.

It appears to have some small metal flake, but its most distinct features
include what look like shock veins similar to L6 specimens. In particular,
the veins have a metallic luster like graphite, or the veins in weathered
chondrites like Owasco, NE (which I am told should be another candidate for
the 7 classification).  However, it also has some large (3-5mm diameter)
structures that under non-E6/7 conditions, would obviously be chondrules.

Also, in discussions about the 7 classification with various people in
meteorite circles, one opinion stood out to me. It was that the 7
designation may be more common in meteorites than the articles report, but
those involved in assigning a classification are reluctant to use the 7
since few others are using it. It maybe a sort of chicken-egg thing. More
7s will be reported as soon as researchers get comfortable with the 7
designation.  Just a thought.

Sincerely,

Martin