Re: Monahans 1998

At 01:46 PM 5/15/98 EDT, you wrote:
>Hi List,
>
>I asked a question a while back about how many other meteorites had the same
>composition as the Monahans 1998 and I was answered that MANY meteorites were
>like it.
>
>After looking at Walt's beautiful photo of a slice of the Monahans 1998,
(seen
>at:  http://ourworld.compuserve.com/homepages/meteorite/mindex3.htm)  I need
>to ask a little more specifically:  Which other meteorites have blue salt
>crystals up to 3mm in diameter?  For that matter, which ones have blue salt
>crystals of ANY size?
>
>Is this common or is this rare?
>
>Steve

I have checked with Adrian Brearley at UNM who, with Rhian Jones,
has just completed a rather exhaustive review of chondrite mineralogy.

Also, wal  wrote:

>Another thing, microprobes can detect metals and semi-metals. Stoichiometry
>is used to assume cation. What did JSC do to determine chemistry? How much
>Cl was there in the rock? Thin section may not be enough!
>
>So, ah, what's going on here??
>
>Walt

The JSC people did not measure the bulk composition of the rock.  This
has not been done yet by anybody, to my knowledge.  So it
remains to be seen if the meteorite is enriched in Cl (I'll bet it is).

jeff