The Fight for Truth, Justice & the American Way, in Monahans!

Hello List,

Boy have I had a fun day today!  As some of you know, on 6:48p.m. CST March
22, 1998 there was a meteor that produced two meteorites that landed in the
city of Monahans, Texas.  The first, a 1,243g specimen, was found by 7 boys
who saw it land just 40 feet from where they were playing basketball.

The parents of these 7 boys hired me to assist them with the selling of their
meteorite.  There is just one little problem, the City of Monahans will not
return it to them.   I have been in Monahans today fighting for "Truth,
Justice and the American Way!"

It seems a person from NASAs Johnson Space Center, come to Monahans and told
both the City Council and the Media, that the meteorite was very common, that
it was not worth much financially and that the City owned it since it
(supposedly) was found on city property.  Well, this man was wrong on ALL 3
counts.

The rock is very unique with these most beautiful blue salt crystals in it,
the likes of which have never been found in a meteorite before, therefore it
is NOT common at all!  The meteorites do, as most ALL meteorites do, have some
considerable value to them.  And from news I found out today, even IF the
meteorite was found on city property, in Texas, that does NOT mean it is owned
by the city!

This misinformation lead (or mislead) the city councilors to think that the
boys should not have the rock returned to them.  We are in a legal battle here
that is very exciting!  I hope there is legal precidence set that will free
finders of meteorites on public property to not have to lie to the
Nomenclature Committee as to where they were found, for fear of lossing the
rocks.

This morning, I checked at the Monahans City Hall and found that in fact, they
have NO statutes stating that it is illegal to keep meteorites found on city
property!  Imagine that?  I also found out that they do not have any statutes
staing that it is illegal to "treasure hunt" or use metal dectectors on city
property!  This we feel is very important, because that states (by omission)
that it is perfectly fine for someone to find coins, or jewelry or other
valuables on city property, and the city does not attempt to make an ownership
claim on them.

But the real silver bullet in our gun, is that there was a case tried in Texas
about 15 years ago where some kids found a suitcase with $500,000 in cash on
the side of a county road.  The county said that they owed it, since it was
found on county property, and the kids said "finders keepers!"  Well, when the
dust settled, the Judge found in favor of the kids, and they got the cash
(minus their legal fees, of course)!

So we believe that this is enough to give my clients their rock.  The city has
decided to have a survey done to be sure exacty where the rock was found.  It
was found right at the border of the city street and a private property line.
One of the seven boy's father owns the private land that the rock may have
been found on.  If the rock is proven to have been found on city property, it
looks like we will have to file a law suit against the city and have a judge
decide who the legal owners are.

We were hoping that the city would have been willing to "do the right thing"
and give the rock to the boys without the legal fight, but in the end, taking
it to court may generate enough publicity to increase the collectibility value
of the rock, and it will be worth it!  I personally believe that it would be
best for the meteorite community if it would go to court and the boys win the
case decidedly!

We hope to have the survey results in shortly, and we will see where we go
from there.

An interesting side note; if a judge does decide that the kids are the legal
owners of the meteorite, I have been informed that the city of Monahans may in
fact be GUILTY of violating the Civil Rights of the boys by illegally
confiscating their personal property without the due process of law!  That is
a Federal offence, that could reword the boys damages including punitive
damages.  I was informend that the city's police officer "was not aware that
the rock may have belonged to the boys so he (or the city) should not be held
responsible if this turns out to be the case."  However, if any of you have
been smuggly told by a police officer that "Ignorance of the law is no excuse
for breaking it," as he is handing you a ticket, then you will enjoy this
potential outcome almost as much as we will!

Oh, I do have a copy of an interesting letter from the scientist at NASA
written to the city manager of Monahans, which includes some interesting
opinions about "commercial meteorite dealers!"  I am curious as if these are
the official NASA opinions, or if they are his personal ones, just written on
NASA stationary?!?!  I expect he will be pleading the 5th for a while, since
he seems to have been putting his foot in his mouth quite a bit lately.

Reporting live, from Midland, Texas, this is Steve Arnold.  Good night!