Re: Answer to Quiz

In a message dated 5/28/98 11:20:07 AM Central Daylight Time,
BAALKE@kelvin.jpl.nasa.gov writes:

<<
 So the St. Louis County is the CURRENT legal owner of the St. Louis
 meteorite.  At the time of its fall, who was the legal owner?  The
 car owner or St. Louis County?  Also, after retrieving it out of
 the trash dump, how did they identify the meteorite as being the
 St. Louis meteorite?

Since the fall was before the Old Woman Court Case when everyone started to
think that meteorites belong to the owners of the land they fell on (not that
the real reson the case was lost by the minors was becuase meteorites are not
"locatable minerals" by definition in the Mining Law of 1872); I expect the
St. Louis City Councilors never thought about taking the rock from the poor
guy with the wrecked car, and therefore they didn't illegally conficate it
from him without the due process of law. Therefore, I do expect that it was
not contested that the meteorite was indeed the car owners property.

Unfortunately, it was never retrieved out of the dump!  It is still there!!!
That is why I said it will be in their possession forever!  Unless someone is
real good at dowsing, and wants to after it!

Steve