Re: Blue Salt Crystals = Green Fireball????

Hello George,

I think Murphy was just commenting on the fact that he seems to be getting
many more reports in his area than normal lately, and he has also noticed the
reports state that more of them are Green fireballs.

It was just a simple speculation that Halite or Sylvite might indeed
contribute to the Greeness in at least the Monahans fireball.  So I geuss you
have answered that question for us, Nitrogen is the culprit, not salt.
Thanks!

Steve

-----------
Green is a very common color for fireballs. It's usually due to the excitation
of Nitrogen atoms in the atmosphere.

In a message dated 5/28/98 6:03:13 PM Central Daylight Time, GeoZay@aol.com
writes:

<< In a message dated 98-05-24 00:36:18 EDT, you write:

 << ve wrote:
  >I was just talking with Jack Murphy at the Denver Museum of Natural
  History,
  >and he was saying that there has been an unusually high amount of
  fireballs
  >seen in the past year or so...

 That hasn't been apparent to me. The fireball rates that IMO receives seems
 be holding steady from one year to the next. My fireball rates are about the
 same each year. I don't think there is any real increase in debris
 encountering the earth. Just lucky timing. Could be an indication of an
 increase in population?
 George Zay