Re: I need help

Frank Stroik schrieb:

> I was wondering if anybody out there has a post I did for list a while
> back, entitled "Understanding Iron Meteorites". I have tried to access
> Meteorite central, but we all know that this is futile. If you can
> e-mail it to me directly that would be great. Thanks, Frank

These posts were so informative that we should give them to all list
members once more. There are quite a few new members who will surely
appreciate the quality of these contributions!

I have also added some of the other posts we exchanged last March. I
hope you don't mind. If you do, there is a delete button :-)

------------ snip ------------

01) From: fes@UWYO.EDU
Date: Sun, 23 Mar 1997 16:25:10 -0700 (MST)

Iron Meteorite Classification: Part I

Perhaps the most complicated, and least understood classification system
in science today (with the possible exception of crinoid classification
in paleontology) is iron meteorite classification. I have spoken to a
few researchers, and few understand it completely. I am going to try to
explain it so that when you visit a museum, read a book, or perhaps look
at your own specimens, you will be able to realize what exactly the iron
meteorite is telling you.
First a knowledge of the minerals kamacite and taenite is needed to
understand the Widmannst,tten structure. By understanding this you will
be able to tell how hot the meteorite was, and how long it took to cool.
If you have slice of an iron meteorite, go get it and refer to it as you
read this, as it always helps to look at what someone is writing about.
Kamacite and taenite are minerals that compose the majority of  iron
meteorites. They are formed by cooling of a magma (molten material).
In this case the magma is composed mostly of two elements iron (Fe) and
nickel (Ni). As the magma cools, these elements begin to bond together.
The definition of the Widmannst,tten structure is as follows: The true
Widmannst,tten structure forms by a diffusion-controlled nucleation that
is slow, even on a geologic time scale (Buchwald 1975). What does this
mean? In simpler terms, it means it takes a long time to cool Fe and Ni,
and even longer to bond them together. It is the amount of time for
cooling that generates the size of the bands in the Widmannst,tten
structure. Ni would like to bond as soon as possible. At about 1100oC,
Ni atomic stucture is stable enough to allow bonding. Fe however is
still reluctant to bond. So as time passes more Ni atoms bond than Fe
atoms bond. This continues until most of the Ni is gone from the melt.
Now here is an implication for the different types of iron meteorites.
Since it is generally accepted that iron meteorites are derived from an
asteroid core, this allows us to model a planetary core in some detail.
In doing this, it gives us a look at how the Widmannst,tten structure
clues us in on where a particular meteorite formed.
Ataxites are iron meteorites without structures. These formed first in a
melt, as they are composed of mostly Ni in their mineralogy.
Did you see the other connection? The more Ni you have the smaller the
Widmannst,tten structure until finally, it is no longer visible to the
naked eye. Ataxites are composed mostly of the mineral taenite, which is
rich in Ni, and demonstrate what an outer core of a planet must look
like.
On the other end of the spectrum we have Hexahedrites. These are
composed mostly of the mineral kamacite, which is the Fe rich
counterpart to taenite. Hexahedrites are the last to cool, and they
represent the inner core of an asteroid, which can be extrapolated to
other planetary cores. These meteorites ar basicly one large
Widmannt,tten band.
The other iron meteorites fall somwhere in between these two extremes.
Remember this, the larger the band width, the longer it took to cool,
and the closer it is to the inner core. Here is where a structural
classification comes to play.
By measuring bandwidth in an iron meteorite, we can assign them to
particular classes. These classes are chemical in nature, and will be
discussed next time. Suffice to say, bandwidth is a function of chemical
classification, and the two are dependent of each other.
Bandwidths range from 0.006mm - 3.1mm in each type of meteorite, there
is a very small tolerance in the width . For example, the group IIIF has
a bandwidth of 1.3-1.6mm if it was any higher, or lower, it would
indicate a different group, or a possible anomalous structure.
I will continue to discuss this classification in more detail over the
next few days. If you have questions, e-mail me, and I will answer them.
In any case, I hope this will help those interested in iron meteorites.

Frank Stroik
Department of Geology
and Geophysics
The University of Wyoming

Reference:
Buchwald Vagn F. (1975) Handbook of  Iron Meteorites, Vol. 1, pp. 243,
UCLA Press, 1975)

Iron Meteorite Classification: Part II

Today I will discuss the chemical classification of iron meteorites. It
is based on a simple idea, but one that is hard to follow. After this
writing, I hope that everyone will be able to look at the number
designation of an iron group and be able to realize what it means. There
are twelve groups of iron meteorites. Each group has members that are
related to each other, but each group is NOT related to another group.
This will become more apparent later. These twelve groups are so divided
on the basis of bandwidths, the concentrations of the elements germanium
(Ge), gallium (Ga) and iridium (Ir), and the amount of Ni. These
features help best to distinguish between the major groups, because they
can be measured with some confidence, and read sufficiently different
between the groups.
The reason for the choice of elements to anaylze for, is due to the fact
that when, let's say Ge-Ni compositions are plotted on a simple graph, a
few groups overlap each other. But when you plot all three elements (Ga,
Ge, and Ir) each group has it's own area on the graph.
I could keep writing, but the above is the classification scheme in a
nut shell. I will put up a table that shows the major properties of  the
individual groups.

Group Number Width(mm) Ni% Ga(ppm) Ge(ppm)
IA 82 1.0-3.1 6.4-8.7 55-100 190-520
IB 8 .01-1.0 8.7-25 11-55 25-190
IC 10 <3 6.1-6.8 49-55 212-247
IIA 39 >50 5.3-5.7 57-62 170-185
IIB 13 5-15 5.7-6.4 46-59 107-183
IIC 7 0.06-0.07 9.3-11.5 37-39 88-114
IID 13 0.4-0.8 9.6-11.3 70-83 82-98
IIE 12 0.7-2 7.5-9.7 21-28 62-75
IIIA 120 0.9-1.3 7.1-9.3 17-23 32-47
IIIB 36 0.6-1.3 8.4-10.5 16-21 27-46
IIIC 7 0.2-0.4 10-13 11-27 8-70
IIID 5 0.01-0.05 16-23 1.5-5.2 1.4-4
IIIE 8 1.3-1.6 8.2-9.0 17-19 34-37
IIIF 5 0.5-1.5 6.8-7.8 6.3-7.2 0.7-1.1
IVA 40 0.25-0.45 7.4-9.4 1.6-2.4 0.09-0.14
IVB 11 0.006-0.03 16-26 0.17-0.27 0.03-0.07

Table based on Scott (1975) table 2.
Ir was not considered above, because it is such a small amount,
measuring with any accuracy is difficult. Still today, Ir is difficult
to measure, so I did not want to give information that may or may not be
right.
Now you can see what the term fine and coarse octahedrite means. Coarse
and fine relate to band width. Octahedrite refers to the crystal
structure of the Ni and Fe. It is basicly a cube. The next time I write
I will take a brief look at the different groups, and how they are
related to asteroids.

Frank Stroik, University Of Wyoming

Reference: Scott E.R.D. and Wasson J.T. (1975) Classification and
Properties of Iron Meteorites (Reviews of Geophysics and Space Physics
13-4,  pp. 527-546.

1) Re: Iron Meteorite Classification. Part I (/Mar97/msg00049.html)
2) Re: Iron Meteorite Classification. Part II (/Mar97/msg00066.html)
3) Re: Iron Meteorite Classification. Part II (/Mar97/msg00067.html)
4) Re: Iron Meteorite Classification. Part I (REPOST)
(/Mar97/msg00068.html)

02) Betreff: Mind your F's and E's
Zur?ckgesendet-Datum: Fri, 3 Apr 1998 11:42:55 -0500 (EST)