Re: Not daunted by my Meteorwrongs...

Ain't that the truth Steve!  I have heard so many stories about falls now that I
do not get at all exited whenever someone emails me their story. I have received
molten pieces of aluminum cans (this particular person had this falling aluminum
can debris impact his car windshield out in the countryside one night. He of
course demanded his "specimen" back even though he ignored my instructions to
include return postage if he wanted it back. It still sits on my porch. Another
caller had a great story told to him by his grandfather who watched a fireball
impact in a swamp in Alabama, then he recovered the 400 lb piece of meteorite
which has sat in their yard ever since. the specimen sent to me was the best
piece of sandstone I have ever seen. Incredible glistening quartz sand grains
(star dust) and even some large conglomerate rocks (giant grape size chondrules).
I told him to protect the treasure at all costs. Most people have been very
cooperative and understanding to my reasoning as to why their specimen is not a
meteorite. Carleton Moore of ASU was gracious enough to send me a box of his
meteorite identification booklets to distribute to people who want them.
Anyway, I am sure there are some more great meteorite tales to be coming out
soon. Maybe some will be true!
Mike Farmer

MeteorHntr@aol.com wrote:

> In a message dated 10/27/98 11:23:05 PM Central Standard Time,
> mhmeteorites@geocities.com writes:
>
> << On a side
>  note...Why is it that when someone thinks they have a meteorite and have
>  it analyzed and the results are negative, they always think the lab is
>  full of conspirators?  I am not suggesting you are Dan, but I have had
>  hundreds of e-mails from folks complaining that all the testing labs are
>  "greedy" and "are just screwing me to get my meteorite" (those are
>  direct quotes). Sorry to babble, but I am curious of other opinions.
>
>  best wishes,
>  Matt
>   >>

> Because Matt, when Uncle Festus saw it land on fire burning the grass around
> it back in 1926 and had to wait 2 hours for it to cool before he dug it out,
> and it has been in the family all these years; all the labs HAVE to be wrong,
> or the beloved Uncle is a Liar!
>
> And the local junior high school science teacher has never seen anything like
> it before.
>
> Besides, just feel the vibes coming off of it, it has to be real!
>
> Steve Arnold
>
> ----------
> Archives located at:
> http://www.meteoritecentral.com/list_best.html