meteorite crystals

Hello list,

I have a small collection of Gibeon meteorites that are in the shape of
crystals. They have multiple sides with flat faces. Are these single
"crystals" that formed with the slow cool of the meteorite, like a quartz
crystal would form? Are they cleaved pieces from a larger mass, like
fluorite octahedrites?  If they are cleaved from a larger mass, would they
still be considered crystals?, I would like to know what they are and how
they formed as I have never heard anything about their origin.

Here is a picture of some showing multiple sides and shapes
http://www.meteorites.org/gibxls.jpg

Thanks,

John Sinclair

Archives located at: