Meteorite Preservation Project....an Idea.

  From:  Michael Cottingham
             mikewren@gilanet.com

Hello everyone,

For sometime now....several months in fact, I have been thinking
about an idea that I have. It involves many of us on the list and
you might even consider it a collective list project!  Not only
would this project involve many people from the list, but I
believe it could be a very important project for the field of
meteoritics.

Take a look:

When I first joined the list....I immediately went through the
list archives and read most everything I could. In fact I did
most of this before I joined the list. Some of the archive
information that really stood out was the information pertaining
to the preservation of meteorites in our collections. I found
that most of this information worked very well. So many of
the list members have shared their first hand experience
with this topic....and their ideas about etching, solvents,
display case building, oxidation reduction, and many other
topics is simply priceless.

I thought that if  you could collect these ideas and put
them all together....you would have an incredible booklet
or disk file that you could reference with ease.  Also,
imagine....this project could be a list-member collection.
All of us working together...to share our personal ideas
and experience on meteorite preservation and stewardship.
We could have a chapter on meteorite ethics and legal
issues too, if we wanted.

No one would own this collection of information. NO ONE
WOULD MAKE ANY MONEY FROM THIS. We would
just nicely group our information in a booklet and it would
be all of ours.

I would play collector and editor of the information. With
interested contributors  helping along the way. I would
like to see such a booklet of information and together we
could make it happen.  I would just help to facilitate it
into reality. Individuals could then have it for free as a download
or pay the exact cost of what each copy would cost to duplicate
into a paper copy. ONCE AGAIN....LET ME STATE THAT I WOULD
NOT MAKE OR DO THIS FOR MONEY!

This is just an idea of mine, but it would take many list members
to help become a reality. I do believe it might be an incredible
opportunity for us to all work together on a common goal.
Imagine if we were to pull it off....how we might feel differently about
some issues.....working together on a common project is good
medicine.

I look forward to the day when someone publishes a real book
about cutting, etching, solvents, the use of chemicals, the correct
steps in polishing, oxidation reduction techniques, etc. etc. etc.
Until then......maybe us list members could pull it off.

Also,  I don't have to be the spear head person here or editor, or
whatever.....if any other list member is more qualified or wanting
of the post.....please by all means do it. I just want to see a
nice & neat little booklet on meteorite preservation.

Let's discuss it...........

Best Regards,

Michael Cottingham

Archives located at: